Saturday, July 18, 2009
Lerup church / Lerup kirke, Øster Han herred, Hjørrring amt.
Lerup church, ab. 10 km northeast of Fjerritslev
Lerup sogn, Øster Han herred, Hjørring amt
Romanesque granite font
windmill park at Lerup
The lonely placed church in Lerup has a Romanesque nave and choir, a late Gothic west tower and a modern porch to the south. The choir and nave are built in granite ashlars. The straight edged south door is preserved, while the north door is walled-in. Its place is visible outside below a new window. The two Romanesque windows of the choir are still in use, a Romanesque window cover stone is bricked-up in the northside of the nave.
The round choir arch with kragsten is extended . The west end of the nave has a board ceiling, while the east end and the choir have two late medieval octagonal vaults. The tower is built in mixed materials, partly ashlars at the west gable of the nave, partly boulders, partly monk bricks; the upper section is mostly re-walled. The original vault of the tower was broken down, and a point arched opening to the nave is closed with a half-timbered wall. The church is in blank wall except the upper section of the tower, which is white-washed.
In the choir is a floor in black-yellow tiles , in the middle gangway of the nave are yellow tiles and below the pews grey-painted beams. Upon the vault of the nave are frescoes from the first half of the 1500s with coat of arms of (Friis, Gøye and Banner). The granite communion table is covered in a pine-panel. An ashlar with a reliquary, probably from a communion table, is bricked-up in the west gable of the tower. The altar piece is a carved work in Baroque from the last half of the 1600s, on the top piece the coat of arms of Hans R. Grabow of Bratskov (+1767) and wife Øllegaard Rantzau. A chalice from 1600. Altar candelabres in late Gothic type with lion-shaped feet. A Romanesque granite font with primitive carved figure-images. A baptismal bowl in south German type from ab. 1575. The pulpit is from Fr. IV's period and the oak-painted pews from the end of the 1800s. A church bell without inscription from the middle of the 1400s.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Lerup (* 1462 Lierup, 1477 Lerrvp); Telling (1468 Tellygh, 1477 Thelingh); Liengårde (* 1473 Lierup lide, 1552 Lidenn); Stagsted (* 1552 Staxstrup, 1610 Staagsted); Mølgård ( 1610 Mølgaard); Lerupgård (* 1461 Lierup gaard); Lunde ( 1552 Lunnde); Pårup (1458 Porop); Mellemmølle (1664 Mølgaardtz Mølle, 1688 Mel or Mølgaardz Mølle).
Lerupgård was in 1519 witnessed to be a vicarage from times immemorial. Lerup was probably a kongsgård (king's estate) from the start, and it was situated north of the church; but already in 1519 the farm was south of this. In 1901 Lerupgård was sold and the vicar moved to Tranum. At the sale Fosdalen (valley) was excepted, and together with bought areas in Lerup and Hjortdal parish it was established as Fosdal Plantage. In the southern end of the valley was 8 September (Vor Frue's birthday) each year held Lerup market, which according to an information from the vicar in 1585 started as a papal indulgence. When the market caused disturbance at the church yard etc, , the vicar applied for permission to move the market to Han herredsting in Skræm parish. The king granted this 11 July 1585, but the market kept the name Lerup market until it gradually stopped in the 1800s.
Fosdal Plantage is a very beautiful nature area , a deep tree- and heather grown ravine among the inside high dune hills; there are several side valleys to the east and west. Fosdalen is protected since 1913. Furthermore various heath areas around Lilledal and Korsbakken and the prehistoric fields are protected.
Listed prehistorics: 74 hills, of which 30 hills upon a long hillside at the farm Lunde, several are rather large; also the nearby Lerup Bavnehøj and Naborres Høj are large, and Skolemesters Høj at Telling. At Rødlandshede south in the parish is a protected area with prehistoric fields.
Demolished or destroyed : 17 hills.
Source: Trap Danmark, Hjørring amt, 1960
photo Lerup June 2006: grethe bachmann