Thursday, July 23, 2009
Skallerup church / Skallerup kirke, Vennebjerg herred, Hjørring amt
Skallerup Church, ab. 10 km west of Hjørring
Skallerup sogn, Vennebjerg herred, Hjørring amt.
Skallerup church is situated a few km from the north sea behind the inland dunes. North of the church was the village Skallerup, which has disappeared like many other villages in the area caused by the sand drift. The church has a Romanesque choir and nave, a western tower, sacristi and porch from the late Gothic period. The Romanesque building is in granite ashlars, the north door is walled-in while the extended south door is still in use. Two round-curved monolit-cover stones from two original windows are placed in the south wall of the choir. A chessboard pattern in the wall of the nave.The round choir arch inside is preserved. The cross vaulted sacristi in monk bricks and ashlars was added in the late Gothic period and at almost at the same time the tower was built to the west. Its bottom room opens to the nave in a pointed arch.The church bells han g in a bell frame. the whole building was restored in 1942. On several occassions , latest in 1910 and 1939, were found badly preserved late Gothic frescoes which were covered in white-wash again.
The communion table in ashlars has a niche for hiding and a reliquary in the top plate. The altar piece is a Lutheranian triptychon from 1600 is placed by Hans Rosenberg like the pulpit from 1605, both probaby from Niels Ibsen's workshop. A half-circular basin upon a round foot. (baptismal font). A fine late Gothic choir arch crucifix, repaired in 1914. A pretty late Gothic cupboard from 1529 with a minuskel-inscription stands in the choir, where is also a large painted anetavle (genealogical table) with 62 coat of arms for the ancestors of Hans Wulf Unger of Villerup and his wife Berete Kaas, who with other members of the family were buried under the choir. Some coffin plates are preserved from the 1600s and 1700s. At the church yard a Romanesque grave stone with a curved top. Bell 1) 1562 2) 1789 from Bakker, Rotterdam, saved in 1875 from the wreck "The Crescent".
Dunes with an access to the sea.
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Skallerup (* 1413 Skelrum, 1433 Scheldorp); Sønderlev (1325 Synderlyugh); Nørum (*1471 Nørrum); Villerup (*1436 Willerup); Størup (1484 Størop); Hunderup (1355 Hundorp); Klitgård (1662 Klitten).
A Petrus Niclessun de Synderlyngh is mentioned in 1325. In 1438 rigsråd Jakob Nielsen Basse of Nielstrup (Sunds herred)(+ earliest 1439), conveyed Synderleffgaard and more estate in Vennebjerg herred and Jerslev herred to bishop Gert (Gerhardt) of Børglum )(+1452). In 1534 came Sønderlev by law to Børglum kloster estate.
Villerup was already a main farm in the late Middle Ages, and according to tradition it belonged to hr. Stig Pedersen (Skovgaard), who lived in the beginning of the 1300s and was a høvedsmand for Vendelbo ships. From him the farm came to his son hr. Niels Stigsen Skovgaard, whose daughter Kirsten Nielsdatter Skovgaard ( died as a widow earliest 1361) by marriage brought Villerup and Linderumgård to her husband Otte Eriksen Lunov (+ latest 1361). One of their daughters Nille Ottesdatter Lunov was married to Jens Havgaard, who thus got a part of V. ; another daughter seems to have married Henrik Clausen Smalsted (+ earliest 1435) whose son Otte Henriksen smalsted in 1436 wrote himself of Villerup. Various owners: Smalsted, Friis, Kaas (Sparre-K.), Unger, Giedde, etc.
The farms Knolde and Størup belonged in the end of the 1400s to some noble siblings of the family Palnesen, Kalli Palnesen, who already in 1469 lived in K.; the væbner Niels Palnesen (+ latest 1487), who in 1484 wrote himself of K. and then pawned Størup to Økloster; Mogens Palnesen in K. who in 1480 sold his part of Knolde and Knolde estate to Vil Thomesen Galskyt of Odden; Karine Palnesdatter, who in 1486 was married to herredsfoged in Vennebjerg herred Thomas Sivordsen (+ earliest 1515) and Dorte Palnesdatter (+ bef. 1505), married to selvejerbonden Ilfar Eskesen in Brøndum (Kollerup parish). Kalli Palnesens daughter Anne Kallisdatter married Peder Terkelsen who in 1501 conveyed the last family-rights in the two farms. Various owners later.
In 1400 Johannes Nikkelsen (Jens Nielsen?) wrote himself of Nørlev. In 1434 Erik Iversen conveyed a farm in Nørlev to the Børglum bishop. In 1456 bishop Jakob (Jep) Friis gave a Nørlev-farm of Børglum bishopric to Maren Pedersdatter, widow after the væbner Anders Thomesen of Ormholt (Dronninglund herred) and her son Lars Nielsen for life-time, when she gave Ormholt to the bishopric. In 1496 and 1500 is mentioned Christen Berg in Nørlev, he had a rose in his coat of arms. In 1532 Hans Rytsland had livsbrev (stay for life) upon one of the copyhold farms of the Crown in "Nørløng" in Vennebjerg herred.
Niels Jonsen wrote himself in 1380 of Torstrup, he was taken under protection by king Oluf. In 1440 Jes Andersen is mentioned in Torstrup, he was endowed for life with Dalsmølle and Skielledal by Hundslund kloster. In 1480 Boel Jensdatter conveyed Torstrupgård and other estate to the same kloster, and it is probably this farm which is mentioned when Jens Rugtved in 1509 was endowed with Tolstrup/Torstrup by the kloster.
The parish suffered during the 1500s and 1600s by the sand drift. Several towns disappeared completely. The villages Skallerup north of the church , Ajstrup (1506 Aystrup) and Torstrup (* 1440 Tostrup, 1452 Torstrup), and several farms and water mills.
Listed prehistorics: Staghøj, a hill upon the former vicarage-area.
Demolished or destroyed: At Mellemmølle was a stone grave and possibly also some stone graves in the dunes; furthermore 9 hills. - In several places in the dune area to the west are noted settlements from late Stone Age. North of Nørlev a stone grave from early Roman Iron Age has been examined.
Source: Trap Danmark, Hjørring amt, 1960.
photo Skallerup June 2003: grethe bachmann