Monday, July 27, 2009
Ejdrup church / Ejdrup kirke, Års herred, Aalborg amt
Ejdrup Church, 12 km southeast of Nibe
Ejdrup sogn, Års herred Aalborg amt.
The church in Ejdrup has a nave and a choir from the Romanesque period, built in granite ashlars. The original windows to the north and south are preserved, but walled. The north door is preserved , but has a small change. Most of the south side of the church was re-walled in 1894. In the ashlars of the south walls are a cross-decorated thympanum, probably from the south door, two ashlars with a chess-board pattern and pieces from two Romanesque Gravestones with cross and rope ornaments. The choir arch is outside rewalled in brick but has kept its profiled kragbånd (oblong relief stones).
The church has a beamed ceiling. The small west tower is an addition from the late Middle Ages in reused ashlars and monkbricks. The narrow tower room, ( now a tool room) was connected to the nave by a small pointed arch, but this has been walled and a door in the closed wall is the only access to the tower. The church has blank walls, the porch and the top of the tower are white-washed, the roofs are tiled.
Chessboard-pattern, "The Devil's Gameboard".
The Communion table is pine-wood, the altarpiece is rural Renaissance with the coat of arms of Søren Kjærulf and Johanne Marie Benzon and the coat of arms and initials of the brothers Manderup and Albr. Christoffer Due of Halkær and the year 1702 upon the foot-piece. In the middle and top field are a painting from 1702 and a new one. The Romanesque granite font is put together by two basins of which one is upside down functioning as a foot, the top basin is with four animal figures and is similar to the lion fonts in the district at Horsens. (South East Jutland).
A pulpit in Renaissance from 1625 with four reliefs and the same coat of arms and year as the altarpiece (restored 1924). Pews from 1936. Western gallery and organ (Th. Frobenius & Co.) In the nave is a choir arch crucifix from ab. 1475 (the cross is new). A Gothic figure group from the same period is kept at Års Museum.
Halkær Mølle Naturcenter
Names in the Middle Ages and 1600s:
Ejdrup (* 1406 Eydrup, 1450 Eithorp); Skørbæk (* 1300s Skiørbeg, * 1412 Skiørbeck); Keldalgårde (* 1481 Keeldall, Keldall); Keldal Vandmølle (* 1512 Keldals mølle); Halkær ( * 1300s Halcker, 1416 Halker ); Elbækgård (1474 Elbek); Kærsgård (1664 Kiers Gaard); Koppes Vandmølle ( 1541 Koppismøel):
Halkær estate belonged in the Catholic period to Viborg bishopric; in ab.1380 Peder Andersen Munk of Halkær said that he had got Halkær from bishop Ib in order to build it up for the benefit of the district. In 1460 and 1492 Niels Munk (Vinranke-Munk) was endowed with Halkær and in 1493 and 1501 a priest Gregers Jensen, in 1510 Niels Kaas (Sparre- Kaas), in 1517 Christen Pedersen . At the Reformation it came to the Crown. Until the 1700s it belonged to families like: Rosenkrantz, Friis, Due. In 1728 it belonged to Søren Kjærulf and hereafter various owners plus some out-parcellings.
In the parish was a farm Vester Hedegård (1463 Wester Hedegaard) which the priorress of Sebberkloster in 1463 outlet to the Viborg bishop Knud.
24 hills, among those an impressive hill southeast of Ejdrup, 2 large hills at Skørbæk Hedehus and a large hill in the forest Skovkrattet. At Skørbæk is an area with sites of a village and connecting fields from early Iron Age.
Demolished or destroyed: At Trælborggård two passage graves, of which one is double. At Skørbæk a circular dolmen where were found 3 cups and some amber pearls. Furthermore 45 hills.
Source: Trap Danmark, Aalborg amt, 1961.
photo Ejdrup kirke 2006: grethe bachmann